To join me on a virtual sketching trip, download a travel sketch-journal here.
I add tutorials to them so you can learn the techniques and details you see in the sketchbooks.

My former workshop students asked me to upload my workshop workbooks to make them available to everyone. So you can also download a workbook and give yourself a workshop! Enjoy!


Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Adventures with Woodsheds

There was quite a to-do here around midnight last night... a humongous wind/rain storm blew in, which prompted a large (18" diameter!) Douglas fir snag to try to take cover in my woodshed.

Unfortunately, it attempted to enter through the roof.


What a shambles! Additionally, the errant snag knocked down a madrone tree branch, which punched a hole in the nearby roof of my little metal "warehouse" where I keep all my printed books (to sell). That's it on the left -- you can see the branch which punched the hole. Fortunately, it only leaked a tiny bit and didn't ruin any books. But I'll need to sling a tarp over the warehouse, and I will have a big job cleaning up the mess and repairing my wonderful woodshed which I built with my bare hands two years ago. Alas!

Here's a worse view.


My DF Daniel says he'll come up with a chainsaw when it quits raining -- but I think it will take a block and tackle to remove that LOG from the woodshed roof! I'll need his help getting the madrone branch off the warehouse without causing more damage, too. It's bigger than it looks.

But hey, at least the fir tree opted for the woodshed instead of the house (it's off to the right), which would have been highly catastrophic. So, in my usual optimistic way, I am dancing with joy that I have a crushed woodshed. ;^D (This tale oughtta give a few moderately depressed people a lift -- they can be happy that THEY don't have to remove logs from atop THEIR woodsheds!).

Here's what it looked like when it was new. It was kinda nice, wasn't it? It took me a couple of weeks to build, and it really was sturdy. The translucent panels in the center part made it bright and airy inside, but since they're brittle and not very strong, they contributed to a real casualty when the roof met the tree....


Ah well.....

On the arty side:

A lot of things are going on in my life. Most of them are invisible, which is to say my brain is working overtime with options. I will try to blog about some possibilities in the near future -- but at the moment, I don't have things figured out. Still, it's an exciting time, and I'm having fun playing with the "what ifs."

5 comments:

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

That is one fine looking wood shed!! Your heart must ache with it's demise. But you're right, better that than the house!!

AnaGF said...

Jesus, what a disaster... I hope you manage to get everything back as it was before soon. Glad to hear nobody was hurt!

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Oh, lord! Talk about an ill wind! We're all having weather-related problems...I heard gurgling night before last. It was the new, expensive on-demand water heater next door. The piles in it froze and broke and I was hearing the sump pump kicking in...

I'm glad it wasn't your house, too!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, what a disaster! Hopefully noone got hurt...

On another note - looking forward to hearing more about the "goings-on"!

Renie said...

Sorry to take so long responding! Lots going on here. As you probably noticed in the next post, the roof is lightened of its burden, and I'm still doing some deep thinking ~ which is producing some new paths to follow.

Thanks for your concern -- no one got hurt, fortunately, and all is well -- and the shed roof can wait until the weather warms up for its facelift.

Here's a grab-bag of other entries...

Related Posts with Thumbnails